Monday 14 October 2013

First 3 days as a professional

Last week I had the great pleasure of teaching my first 3 casual days. 

I got paid and I loved it! PHEW!

I went into a school I had never been to before (thanks to a friend from uni) and had the privilege of teaching a class who had not had their regular teacher for at least 6 weeks plus the school holidays.

It was daunting, exciting, invigorating and heaps of FUN!

The class was a 3/4 composite in a school of composites. It was by far the most diverse classroom I had ever taught in, culturally, academically and behaviourally. 

I had to think on my feet, I had to come prepared as there was nothing waiting for me...this made it a much more challenging and rewarding experience.

The one thing that I was very relieved about was how welcoming the staff at the school were.

All in all a wonderful first professional outing where I learnt about myself and about and from the students.

Here is a sample of art the students did inspired by the book The Dot by Peter Reynolds, these are buddy dots half a dot by each student - the children loved choosing half dots to match up, sorry about the dodgy photo!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard! So glad you had such a positive experience. This is a great profession to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your support and comment. I am now one day and two assignments from finishing my degree. So exciting! Cheers Jane

      Delete