Friday 25 March 2011

Too drab to learn?

.  The+board+of+education

A couple of times this week, the learning environment has been brought to my attention.  Firstly Matthew has blogged about it in this post. Matthew pointed me to this article by Denise Ryan about the design of learning spaces. Here, the schools that are being praised for their design incorporate "easily altered spaces, with hands-on and outdoor areas integrated into the learning spaces". My guess is they also look good.


During my Research in Learning class on Tuesday this same issue was raised after a speech on the topic, a few class members commented on how uninspiring our classroom was.  It did feel that way.  Sitting in a drab environment, desks in rows, that are too close together, with insufficient air flow is not conducive to knowledge acquisition.


Where we learn greatly influences how well we learn

Sitting here typing this from the sunroom of my house, overlooking a view that most would envy, I can only agree that our surroundings influence the way we work.  Sitting with nature in full view, sun shining in and the deep blue sea on the horizon, I am happy, I feel good and I am inspired.  


Bring on the knowledge!


Image Source



No comments:

Post a Comment